Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Video Tutorial: How to Make a Printed Card with Silhouette Studio {for beginners}


Today's tutorial was made for those of you who are new to the Silhouette Studio program. In this video tutorial, you will learn:

  • How to use the rectangle tool
  • How to use the rounded rectangle tool
  • How to fill a shape with patterned paper
  • How to fill a shape with color
  • How to resize a shape
  • How to change the line style
  • How to change the line color
  • How to trace an image
  • How to make an offset.
  • How to group
  • How to align



You do not need the Designer Edition to make this card because I did not use any SVGs. What you do need is a digital patterned paper and a graphic image. I used a paper from the Mommy & Me Paper Pack and the doll from the Growing Up graphic set.




As much as I like to paper piece and put different layers together, I do resort to printing the cards out instead sometimes. The kids don't usually appreciate the time and effort that I put in to make a layered card. In fact, they are just as excited as when I give them a printed one.


A printed card is great for when you need a card quickly. By using images that are appropriate for the occasion, you can use this idea to make a cards for birthdays, party invitations, or just because. By reducing the size, you can also make multiple notecards in a short time.



The card is quick and easy to make but it looks really cute. Very Kawaii! It is an easy project for the beginners and I hope that you'll give it a try. Here is a video tutorial to help you along. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/ldZc7CuW3YA





11 comments :

  1. Jin I love your work. Even though this card is basic I still n-joy watching what you create. TY for sharing your time and talent with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jin! I just got my new silhouette and have been using MTC because I haven't taken the time to learn the silhouette software! I think I'll be trying this card so I can get going using the new software. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your new cutter! Even though I love MTC, I'm finding that I prefer using the Silhouette program for any project that involves printing. Do give the Sil software a try and I hope that this tutorial will help you in getting to know your new program better. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hey Jin, what kind of cardstock is that again.. i love that i can see the texture in it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny! I love that textured look too. I used the American Crafts cardstock in white and they come in both letter size and 12"x12". They also cut really nicely with the Cameo. Love it! :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Jin,

    I have a question for you about the graphics. I just bought them from Lettering Delights and am following your tutorial. However, when I drag & drop the little girl into my Silhouette software, the little yellow exclamation point comes up saying that the design may print in low resolution. I was simply dragging and dropping from the import folder on my computer to the Silhouette application. Am I missing a step? I haven't tried printing yet to see how the resolution is...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jin,

    Another great as always!!!!!

    Would you consider doing a Cupcake Wrapper Tutorial on how to size (figure out) them??

    Thanks for your willingness to share with all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what kind of cardstock is that again.. i love that i can see the texture in it...can i use it for plastic card printing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial-I need to print (and cut) more often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello, I happened by chance on your blog looking for this kind of tutorial. thank you I love it, but I need to know if the program is used by you or photoshopcs3, photoshop elements.
    thank's francesca

    ReplyDelete